- 4 lbs. fresh chicken (necks, backs, wings, legs, bones)
- 2 onions, peeled or leeks
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 8 black peppercorns (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Put chicken in a large pot and cover with 6 qt. cold water. Bring just to a boil. Skim off and discard any foam that rises to the surface. Add remaining ingredients, return just to a boil, and reduce heat to maintain a steady, gentle simmer. (Excessive boiling will make a cloudy broth.)
- Let cool to warm room temperature. Strain and discard solids. Keep chilled and use or freeze stock within a few days.
- Well frozen broth will keep for months. I freeze stock in 1- and 4-cup containers to use whenever recipes call for broth or stock. Defrost and bring to a boil before using.